NOTE: NEVER FORCE CLOSE OR SWIPE CLOSE THE NRBY APP WHILE IN THE PROCESS OF CREATING A SMARTPIN. EVEN AFTER THE NRBY APP STATES SMARTPIN “SUCCESSFULLY CREATED” THE PHOTO PROCESS MAY IS STILL RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. FORCE CLOSING OR SWING CLOSING WILL ELIMINATE PHOTOS THAT ARE IN PROCESS.
Photo’s are an integral part of describing anything at a location. Sometimes photos could be a mandatory requirement just to create a SmartPin. Other times, you may want to add additional photos to help describe the location. This work instruction we will cover all these situations plus review common problems encountered adding photo’s to SmartPins.
Most SmartPins will be configured with mandatory photos which are required to create a SmartPin. Much of the time only one photo will be required, but there are times where more than one will be required. You also may want to add more photos to better describe the situation. In this example, let’s walk through creating a standard Temporary Drop SmartPin.
1. After navigating to the correct category and selecting the appropriate SmartPin (i.e., Temp Drop), if mandatory photos are required you will immediately see the screenshot below. Mandatory photos will always be the first step when creating a SmartPin. Notice the top title line outlines what photo is needed, in this case “Picture House to Pedestal”.
2. After hitting yes, your camera automatically opens to take the picture. Once you take the picture you can select either “OK” or “Retry” if you are not happy with the outcome. Once you have good photo hit “OK” to move to the next step. You can also add videos. The default is always photo but hitting the red record button near the bottom of the screen starts the video. Please note, videos are large files that take significant time and bandwidth to upload.
- If second (or additional) mandatory photo is required just follow the same steps above starting with the top line which describes the photo required. Following our example for a Temporary Drop the next mandatory photo would be “Picture from Pedestal to House”. When complete hit OK.
- Finally, when all mandatory photos are completed you will be prompted if you want to include additional photos. If yes, just follow the same process, if no you will then move on to the next steps for creating the SmartPin.
- TIP: NRBY RECOMMENDS YOU ALWAYS SELECT “YES” TO HAVE PHOTOS ADDED TO YOUR GALLERY. IT IS IMPORTANT TO BACKUP PHOTOS IN THE EVENT THE UPLOAD FAILS FOR SOME REASON.
3. Once you have completed the next steps (usually SmartForm with required or optional attributes) the SmartPin should successfully be created and viewable. Tap on the SmartPin you just created. Uploaded photos can been view by scrolling up and down in the photo section. Tapping on any photo will expand that photo allowing you to pan and zoom. Pan with one finger and zoom or expand using two fingers.
4. Depending on your data connection sometimes it takes a while to upload the photos. Within your notifications tray you can view if the photo upload status and whether it was successful. To do that swipe down from the top of the screen to view your notifications. In the event you see that a photo was not successfully uploaded, please go to the Common Problems section to learn how to deal with these situations.
Adding Photo's from the Gallery
After adding mandatory photos if you want to add additional photos to any SmartPin. Tap on the SmartPin. Tap the paper clip icon near the bottom of the screen to open a selection menu. You can either open the camera to take an additional photo to be added the SmartPin or select gallery to upload a previously taken photo to the SmartPin.
- Sometimes due to a poor cellular connection you may experience difficulties creating a SmartPin and /or uploading photos. Nrby will attempt to create the SmartPin first and then upload the photos second.
- If Nrby has any issue creating the SmartPin you will see a grayed-out image of the SmartPin on your
phone. Nrby has cached all the information and is waiting for a good signal to finish the upload to create the SmartPin. No action is required on your side.
- Once the SmartPin is successfully created a similar issue may occur with uploading the photos. Photos are much larger files and take more time depending on the quality of the cellular connection. To check on the status of your photos, open your notifications tray by swinging down from the top of your phone. In there you will see the status of each photo.
- Green with check indicates successfully uploaded
- Blue with up arrow indicates upload in process
- Red with X indicate upload failedIf the photo upload is in process there is nothing you need to do
- Depending on the cellular connection it may take longer than expected. If the upload times out or fails for some other reason the only way to reload the photo is to open the SmartPin, review the photos to identify which one did not upload and then upload that photo from your gallery (click on the paper clip and select Gallery).